Wind farm planning and development
Latvian Prime Minister on tour in Denmark: “Denmark is the world leader in wind energy”
Today, Latvia's Prime Minister, Arturs Krišjānis Kariņš, is in Denmark to learn about wind energy and to exchange knowledge on biomass. Particularly, the delegation is looking towards Denmark’s strong competencies within wind energy as an inspiration for Latvia.
While 41 percent of Denmark's electricity consumption in 2018 was covered by wind energy, the figure in Latvia was just one percent, according to the European trade organisation WindEurope. That needs to be changed and Lativia is focusing on offshore wind energy.
“We see an ambitious climate policy as an opportunity for sustainable growth. That is why Latvia joined the group of EU countries, including Denmark, which call for more climate ambition. The Nordic and Baltic regions have the potential to be among the frontrunners in developing innovative and smart technologies for preventing climate change and enhancing the transition to more green energy. I am looking forward to strengthening our partnership during my visit with Denmark in this area. Wind energy is one of the areas for our cooperation as Denmark is the world leader in wind energy development,” said Latvia's Prime Minister, Arturs Krišjānis Kariņš.
According to Arturs Krišjānis Kariņš, wind energy is one of Denmark's key competences in the green field and this source of energy is particularly untapped in Latvia. Noting Ørsted's world-leading position, the Prime Minister regards offshore wind as a particularly outstanding Danish competence.
Strong Danish-Latvian cooperation on green transition
Denmark has looked to the Baltic countries – including Latvia – for import of biomass to diversify the energy mix, while Latvia is now looking to Denmark for wind power solutions.
The visit from Latvia focuses on the exchange of knowledge between the two countries' energy systems, and among other things, the involvement of citizens in the process of constructing wind farms plays a key role. The delegation from Latvia hopes to be able to transfer the Danish successes of citizen involvement to their own green transition.
Arturs Krišjānis Kariņš emphasizes that both countries have ambitious climate goals and strive to support for each other’s efforts toward a green energy transition.
-Related solution: Creating energy from biomass in Aarhus
According to figures from Eurostat, Denmark and Latvia have in common that both countries have already achieved the binding EU 2030 target of having at least 32 per cent of total energy consumption covered by renewable sources. In 2018, renewable energy accounted for 36.1 percent of Denmark's energy consumption, while Latvia reached 40.3 percent. Hydropower is the predominant source of renewable energy in Latvia (97% of total production), with the remaining 3% divided between wind and biomass.
In addition to a visit to Denmark's green branding organisation, State of Green, where Wind Denmark will present on wind energy in Denmark, a visit to EnergyLab Nordhavn is planned with the participation of Danish Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen.
You should consider reading
Green Danish energy production at a record high in the first half of 202215 August 2022
Escalade11 August 2022
PNE chooses power control solution from SCADA International for a new 55 MW mixed windpark11 August 2022
Climate change adaptation
Business case for renewable energy and climate projections11 August 2022