Nations across the world are increasing their investments in green technology to meet the UN Global Goals, and Danish companies have good chances to be a part of the growing market. Today, Minister for Environment & Food Esben Lunde Larsen is in Kenya to discuss the course for UN’s environmental efforts and lead an export promotion with Danish solutions.
The meeting in Kenya is the Second Meeting of the UN Environment Assembly in Nairobi, Kenya to discuss the course for UN’s environmental efforts with more than 100 minister colleagues from across the world. The UN Global Goals for Sustainable Development from 2015 have to be incorporated in the coming year’s efforts. The link between environment, health and welfare is also on the agenda.
– If the world’s nations want to meet the new global goals, then it requires big investments in green technology. This technology can be delivered by the Danish companies. For instance, the target on providing clean water for all citizens will increase the demand for water treatment technology, says Esben Lunde Larsen.
The implementation of cleaner technology and safe management of chemicals & water are among the central instruments, which are going to improve the health of the world’s population. Denmark want to work to secure that the UN prioritizes its efforts in this area to reach the goals.
After the minister summit an export promotion will begin in Kenya, where Esben Lunde Larsen is leading the delegation with participation from Danish companies, Danish Agriculture & Food Council, and the Confederation of Danish industry. Among participating companies are Grundfos, AVK, Cimbria and CT-Technologies. The focus is on Danish solutions within food security and traceability, where Danish knowledge and solutions can help Kenya with the production of a safer and bigger amount of food – for instance within the dairy sector.
Danish Meeting for the Businesses Community
During the summit in Nairobi, Denmark will together with the UN Environmental Program host a Business Dialogue, where the theme will be the role of business and private sector to reach the goals. Here Esben Lunde Larsen will tell about the Danish approach to environment and sustainability.
– Companies must come on board, they need to have ownership of the sustanibility agenda, otherwise we won’t reach the goals. Politicians can’t solve the challenges themselves. Companies must develop those solutions, which secure clean water, eliminate poverty, and create healthy food to the entire world population, says Esben Lunde Larsen.
The meeting for the private sector in Nairobi is followed up with a meeting in Copenhagen in October.
About the Summit:
- The UN Environment Assembly takes place in Kenya’s capital Nairobi in the period 23-27 May 2016. The UN Environmental Program(UNEP) has been placed in Nairobi in more than 40 years.
- The world’s Ministers for Environment function as a kind of board for UNEP and meet every second year.
- Other than the ministers, directors from different UN subsidiaries are participating as well as companies.
- On the meeting the ministers decide the direction for the coming years’ environmental efforts.
- This year the ministers are discussing how to implement the UN Sustainable Development Goals, which was adopted in September 2015.
Source: Minister for Environment & Food