The Danish-Ukrainian cooperation supports Ukraine's current national action plans in renewable energy and energy efficiency towards 2020 and the new Energy Strategy 2035, adopted by the parliament in August 2017. The strategy targets a 25 per cent renewable energy share in 2035.
The Danish-Ukrainian energy cooperation has already made a clear impression of the Ukrainian Energy Strategy 2035. Among other things, the cooperation has led to the modeling of future energy scenarios, showing how Ukraine can achieve their ambitious renewable energy goal.
Keynote in Kiev
To emphasize continued Danish support for the Ukrainian energy strategy, the CEO of the Danish Energy Agency, Kristoffer Böttzauw, delivered a keynote at the Ukrainian Energy Ministry’s major annual international conference “9th International Forum on Energy for Sustainable Development” held this week in Kiev with a presentation of Denmark’s policy and goal of converting to renewable energy. The conference was held in cooperation with the United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE) and with participation from UN, EU, the World Bank, EBRD, IEA and IRENA.
-Related solution: The Danish Energy Agency’s international energy cooperations
The energy cooperation has linked Danish strengths in district heating, wind energy, biomass and energy efficiency to Danish energy technology and opportunities for export through, among other things, holding a roundtable session at the Confederation of Danish Industry (DI) during the Ukrainian Energy Minister’s visit to Denmark in May 2018. In addition, the Minister launched during his visit the idea of a concrete district heating pilot project, where Danish energy companies were invited to contribute technology and know-how.
Danish companies involved
During the visit in Ukraine, a meeting was held with Danish energy companies (including Danfoss, Grundfos, Kamstrup and Vestas) with the objective to clarify what barriers businesses experience in the Ukrainian energy market today and how the Danish-Ukrainian cooperation can help to reduce these.
-Related solution: Chemical free make-up water for district heating
- The Danish Energy Agency helps a number of high-growth economies throughout the world to reconcile a sustainable energy supply with economic growth. Danish advice is based on more than 40 years of experience in energy efficiency and renewable energy from Denmark’s own green conversion of the energy sector.
- The budget for the Ukrainian-Danish energy cooperation is EUR 2.7 million, which is financed by the Danish Ministry of Foreign Affairs’s Neighbourhood Programme from 2018-2021.
- The Danish neighbourhood programme is part of the European neighbourhood policy to help the EU’s neighbouring countries to the east and southeast.
- The overall objective of the neighbourhood program is to promote human rights, the rule of law, democracy and economic integration with the EU.
- The Danish Energy Agency’s technical advice to Ukraine is provided through the “Ukrainian Danish Energy Centre” (UDEC), which was established in 2015 with participation from, among others, Ministry of Energy Coal and Industry and State Agency for Energy Efficiency and Energy Saving of Ukraine, and posting a long-term energy advisor to the end of 2020.
The Danish Energy Agency (in Danish)
Lean more about the Danish-Ukrainian energy cooperation