The Heat Pump city of the year 2020 award ceremony organized by The European Heat Pump Association EHPA took place November 17.
Winner in the category Decarbindustry was TaarnbyForsyning, the public multi utility of Taarnby in Greater Copenhagen with a large heat pump for combined heating and cooling.
The heat pump, 4.5 MW cold / 6.5 MW heat, has an important role in the new fast growing Kastrup Business district between Kastrup Metro station and the Blue Planet (aquarium). The heat pump integrates a new district cooling system in the district with the existing district heating system in Greater Copenhagen, the power system, the wastewater plant next to the district and the ground water.
The project demonstrates smart synergies or couplings between the following 8 sectors:
1. The efficient public transport has been a driver urban development of a city district optimal for district heating and district cooling
2. The buildings save space for heating and cooling installations
3. The heat pump supplies heat to the existing district heating grid
4. The heat pump supplies cooling to the new district cooling grid
5. The chilled water storage tank allows the heat pump to optimize with respect to prices and constrains in the power system
6. Surplus capacity of the heat pump generates heat from treated wastewater optimized with respect to the heat market
7. The heat pump installation and the storage tank are located at the wastewater treatment plant, saving expensive space in the densely urban area
8. The ground water will in second stage supplement the cooling capacity and store heat from summer to winter
The project is in particular profitable as the heat pump is fully utilized serving the consumers in Taarnby with
• Cooling capacity in summer
• Cooling from efficient combined heating and cooling
• Heating from efficient combined heating and cooling
• Heating from the treated wastewater
For more information see: