Odense Environmental Centre was established in 1994 by Odense Waste Management Ltd. Being one of the largest and most modern environmentally safe landfills in Northern Europe, it has been attracting many visitors from Denmark and abroad. Especially the high degree of environmental protection initiatives at the Environmental Centre as well as the fact that about 50 % of the solid waste brought to the environmental centre is able to be recycled after specific treatment methods at the center.
Intermediate and final deposit
Odense Environmental Centre receives waste for final deposit and intermediate deposit. The centre also receives waste to be treated and recycled – such as garden waste, oil polluted soil, incineration ash and sludge.
Activities at the Environmental Centre
- Receiving area, workshop and administration
- Pre-treatment plant for processing leachate
- Composting of yard waste
- Composting of biomass (sludge from sewage Treatment)
- Treatment of contaminated soil
- Intermediate landfilling of possibly recyclable Waste
- Intermediate landfilling of combustible waste
- Landfilling of asbestos-containing waste
- Landfilling of shredder waste
- Landfilling of waste suitable for landfilling
More than 50% waste recycled
The Environmental Centre keeps constantly abreast of the latest development within environmentally responsible solid waste management. More than half of the solid waste received by the Environmental Centre is being treated and recycled instead of landfilled.
May last for 100 years
Not much solid waste is left for final landfilling. Thus the capacity of the landfill areas of the Environmental Centre is at present estimated to be at least 100 years, while the initial estimate was less than 30 years.