In Situ Thermal Desorption (ISTD) – Soil remediation you can trust
ISTD is a robust, proven and patented technology for heating the subsurface to remediate soil and groundwater. ISTD shows an unbeaten record of site closures.
ISTD can be applied for in-situ remediation of all deposits (soil types). The technology is particularly suitable in case of stringent requirements to the clean-up levels and request for quick treatment.
The success of ISTD is based on conductive heating. The thermal conductivity for the range of known soils varies by a factor of less than five. This means that ISTD is not limited by soil type or heterogeneity like other techniques based on fluid conductivity. Conductive heating ensures a uniform heating with a sweep efficiency of nearly 100% even in tight clay soils.
Years of experience
All projects are carried out in cooperation with the American company TerraTherm Inc. specialized in soil and groundwater remediation by thermal in situ treatment. The ISTD technology is developed and patented by Shell. In January 2006 Krüger signed a sub-license agreement with TerraTherm which grant Krüger the exclusive right to implement ISTD in a number of countries outside US.
A Wide Range of Uses
- Beneath or near buildings
- Saturated and unsaturated zones
- On-site treatment
We offer visits to different sites – please contact us and we will find a site to visit that meets your needs.
- High remediation efficiency:
- Concentration reductions of >99.9 %
- Very short operation time: 3-4 months
- Insensitive to geological inhomogeneities
- Treats low-permeable sediments and bedrock
- Remediates underneath buildings or close to residential areas
- Unlimited according to the depth of the contamination
- Remediates every volatile and semivolatile compounds
- No excavation needed
- Applicable below water table
Is Thermal Soil Remediation right for my site?
You are always welcome to contact us if you have a contaminated site and we can help you evaluate if thermal soil remediation would be an option. First, we do a screening of the site. Then, based on your site information we do a preliminary conceptual design and a cost indication. To get an evaluation please contact Maiken Faurbye by e-mail [email protected]