A large compartment for seawater enables HOFOR to increase its production of district cooling while still more costumers join the utility company’s district cooling system.
As still increasing numbers of larger properties in Copenhagen choose to join the CO2-friendly district cooling, there is a greater need for expanding capacity in order for production to keep up with the demand.
– In order to utilise the cooling station in Adelgade most efficiently, we have built a compartment for seawater near the pier at the end of Sankt Annæ Square. We are talking about a larger investment. However, the investment will also secure a more efficient and greener production of district cooling in the years to come, explains Henrik Lorentsen Bøgeskov, who is the Manager for district cooling at HOFOR.
The new installation has meant an increase in efficiency at the cooling station in Tietgensgade from 21 MW to 46 MW.
5,715 kW new costumers
In 2016 alone, new costumers equivalent to 5,715 kW have joined HOFOR’s district cooling system. This means that the constructional expansion of the cooling production in the cooling station needs a larger amount of seawater.
– Previously, the cooling station absorbed seawater directly from the harbour but with the new compartment, the water is filtered and pumped into the station. This means that the many machines at the station will be able to do their absolute best, as the volume of water under pressure is able to increase significantly compared to a similar pipeline where the water is absorbed, says Henrik Lorentsen Bøgeskov.
Facts about the new compartment for seawater
– Increase in production: A delivery of 46 MW effect
– Maximum effect: 3,700 m3/hour
– Size: 202 square metres and 10 metres in height
– 3 compartments: two water-filled and one adjacent with pipelines and pumps
– The main pipe is 900 mm
– Ten hatches along the seawater pipeline ensures that the components are changeable and that the job of maintenance can be done without having to dig.
– Intake is 5 metres below normal water level meaning that there is always water in the compartment regardless of variations in the water level.
– Emergency pumps, extra pumps, transformers, valves, city passes, slides to the harbour and in-between the different compartments secures it against flooding.